Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR), France
ANR provides funding for project-based research in all fields of science – for both basic and applied research – to public research organisations and universities, as well as to private companies (including SMEs).
Employing a method based on competitive peer reviews complying with international standards, ANR provides the scientific community with instruments and programmes that promote creativity and openness, and stimulate new ideas and partnerships, particularly between academia and industry.
Its activity also contributes to enhancing the competitiveness and the influence of French research in Europe and across the world.
A public body under the authority of the French Ministry of research, ANR was created in two phases: February 2005 as a public interest grouping / January 2007 as a public administrative institution further to the decree of 1st August 2006.
The decree of 24th March 2014 has consolidated and broadened its missions.
ANR's activities aim at:
- developing science and technology,
- rallying teams around societal and S&T challenges,
- speeding up knowledge creation and transfer, and fostering academic-industry partnerships,
- promoting collaborative work and interdisciplinary dialogue,
- preparing a new generation of talents,
- facilitating European and international collaborations.
The main challenges the ANR works on are part of the European Strategic Agenda.
The agency offers a wide range of funding instruments adapted to the various challenges and needs of the scientific community.
Drawing on ANR know-how and expertise, the French Government have entrusted the agency – since 2010 – with management of the research and higher education component of the strategic “Investments for the future” programmes (€22.6 billion)
Participating centers of excellence:
- Bordeaux Initiative for Neurodegenerative Disease, Bordeaux University Link...
- Grenoble Excellence in Neurodegeneration (GREEN), University Grenoble Alpes Link...
- Lille Centre of Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases (LICEND), University of Lille Link...
- DHUNE-CE/DHUNE, Aix Marseille University Link...
- Montpellier Center of Excellence in Biomarkers and Personalized Medicine for Neurodgenerative Disorders, Montpellier University Hospital Link...
- Salpêtrière Center for Translational Research on Neurodegenerative Disorders, INSERM Link...
- Toulouse Neuro-Degenerative Center (NeuroToul), CHU de Toulouse Link...