The National Institute of Heath ”Carlos III” (ISCIII) is a Public Research Organism, whose main mission is:
To foster the generation of scientific knowledge in health sciences and to promote innovation in health care and disease prevention.
Attached to the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality (MSSSI) and the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO), ISCIII stands today as the institution responsible for the Strategic Action in Health (SAH) within Spain’s National Plan for Science and Technology Research, Development and Innovation (NP R+D+I).
The areas developed in the ISCIII are based on three main lines of activity:
- Biomedical Research: Promotion and development of excellent and highly competitive research.
- Scientific-Technical Services: Provision of supporting services to the General State Administration and the National Health System (NHS).
- Scientific-Technical Training in Health: Mainly directed at healthcare professionals.
All of this is implemented through three instruments of planning, management and execution:
- The Strategic Action in Health, within the framework of the National Plan of R+D+I.
- The policy of its research centres, foundations and consortia.
- Scientific-Technological platforms.
The Institute promotes a new model of translational research cooperation by creating the Networks for Cooperative Research in Health (RETICS) and the Network of Biomedical Research Centres (CIBER). The latter constitute research consortia integrated by groups selected to develop a forefront scientific programme on different strategic fields of interest for the National Health System.
In order to reach all areas of society, the ISCIII promotes and coordinates Research in Biomedicine and Health Sciences, in collaboration with all agents of the Spanish System of Science, Technology and Innovation: Autonomous Communities, Universities, Hospitals in the NHS, Public Research Organisms, Public and Private Research Centres, Non-profit foundations and Companies.
ISCIII and neuroscience research
In 2010 and 2011 ISCIII’s research spend in basic and clinical research projects on neuroscience and mental health was approximately of 18 Million Euros distributed among CIBERNED (Centre of Networked Biodemical Research on Neurodegenerative Diseases) ,CIBERSAM (Centre of Networked Biodemical Research on Mental Health), UIPA (Research Unit in Alzheimer’s Disease Project), the Era-NEURON programme, Health Research projects on Neurodegenerative Diseases funded through the Health Strategic Action and the JPND 2011 call.
ISCIII and the COEN initiative-participating centres of excellence:
- CIBERNED (Centre of Networked Biodemical Research on Neurodegenerative Diseases) Link...
- CIEN Foundation (Foundation Research Centre of Neurological Diseases) Link...